Saturday, August 11, 2007




79-The Big Sleep - Director:Howard Hawks - Cast:Humphrey Bogart, Lauren Bacall, John Ridgely and Martha Vickers.


"I don't think plot as a plot means much today. I'd say that everybody has seen every plot twenty times. What they haven't seen is characters and their relation to one another. I don't worry much about plot anymore."
-Howard Hawks-

------

"(And)as far as men go, I don't care about the size of them or anything, but I like the strength of them. I mean Bogart was a giant, but he was a little man physically ... Cagney is another one.
-Howard Hawks-

-----

"I've listened to 30 French directors in a room, German directors, Swedish directors, Italian directors ... I think too many of them want to analyze films. Too many of them want to find a motive for doing it. I keep telling them, “You're just storytellers. If you got a story, tell it, tell it good.” If you're any good at all, you wont't think about where you're going to put the camera or what you're gonna do. You'll know that you want to get in close on this, you'll know ... And if you're not any good, you'll use a lot of tricks and think that they're new. Just if I like a story, I don't say well it’s about this and that’s been popular then ... It’s more or less been the other way. "
-Howard Hawks-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home