Friday, September 21, 2007



94-The Shop Around the Corner - Director:Ernst Lubitsch - Cast: Margaret Sullavan, James Stewart, Frank Morgan, Joseph Schildkraut, Sara Haden,and Felix Bressart.



" People who know and love films revere the great director Ernst Lubitsch"
-Leonard Maltin-
------

"When I was an adult I fell in love with Ernst Lubitsch, and I loved all of his films unreservedly. They’re fantastic and I could watch them all again and again. I love it when comedy and drama are presented together, and all the values of each, and no one does it better than Lubitsch, though I think Mike Nichols is pretty awesome as well. I personally love Ninotchka. I love Melvyn Douglas and Greta Garbo together, and I love those actors who were in all of Lubitsch’s films, those guys who played the Russians. They’re so ridiculous."
-Sigourney Weaver-
------

"The two films that you should see in terms of talking comedy--and I'm not talking about the talking comedies like the Marx brothers, because those are not really legitimate comedies, those are records of the Marx brothers as performers--but in terms of comedies where the movie itself functions, you have to see 'Born Yesterday' and 'Trouble in Paradise'. And then after that, if you haven't seen it, you should see 'The Shop Around the Corner'."
-Woody Allen-
------

"You could name the great stars of the silent screen who were finished; the great directors gone; the great title writers who were washed up. But remember this, as long as you live: the producers didn't lose a man. They all made the switch. That's where the great talent is."
-Ernst Lubitsch-



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home