Sunday, September 30, 2007


97-Idi i smotri (aka "Come and See") - Director:Elem Klimov -Cast:Aleksei Kravchenko,Olga Mironova,Liubomiras Lauciavicius,and Vladas Bagdonas.
"As a young boy, I had been in hell.--The city was ablaze up to the top of the sky. The river was also burning. It was night, bombs were exploding, and mothers were covering their children with whatever bedding they had, and then they would lie on top of them. Had I included everything I knew and shown the whole truth, even I could not have watched it."
-Elem Klimov-
------
"Severel years ago I got a call from my father telling me to drop whatever I was doing and make my way over to the UCLA campus.One of the 'halls' was putting on a showing of a Russian movie,by a director named Klimov,and it was not to be missed.
A veteran of some 36 missions over Berlin during the second World War ,my dad never been one to embrace filmdom's history of War.Feeling either their inaccuracies or appalled by the common romatic view of battle.This film 'Come and See' was a great portrait of and against War.
I'm glad I made it over there that day because what I saw will stay with me forever.It is not only a masterpiece of filmmaking ,but of humanity itself."
-Sean Penn-
------
"I hadn't made any films by that time, I'd worked in the theatre, and when you're working in film or in television you learn very, very quickly that 75% of what you experience is sound. It's amazing that everyone bows down to the camera department on set and sound people are usually treated as pariahs. I just remember thinking about it at the time and every time I've worked on a film since then I've remembered this film, not in detail, but just to think about the sound.
They use the limitations of sound. On the Hollywood side of movies sound technology has developed enormously, surround sound, and we're all trying to import it into our homes, and Hollywood is feeding that. But what this kind of film does is the opposite of that really, it uses the absolute centre, what it does is take out everything apart from someone's footsteps through water. You can hear the dialogue, but all the stuff around it appears to be filtered out. We appear to have very little access to sound in a way. I think it probably comes out of editing really, that the Russians pioneered, with modern aesthetics, and you see it in visual terms at the collage towards the end. I'm sure it came out of that, the ability to layer and chop things in, really before it became acceptable to edit (sound) like that."
-Danny Boyle-
----
"I lost interest in making films ... Everything that was possible I felt I had already done"
-Elem Klimov(2001)----R.I.P(2003)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home