Friday, July 07, 2006


46- La Notte- Director:Michelangelo Antonioni. Cast: Marcello Mastroianni, Jeanne Moreau and Monica Vitti.

"The final sequence of Antonioni's La Notte is perhaps the only episode in the whole history of cinema in which a love scene became a necessity and took on the semblance of a spiritual act. It's a unique sequence in which physical closeness has great significance. The characters have exhausted their feelings for each other but are still very close to each other. As a friend of mine said once, more than five years with my husband is like incest. These characters have no exit from their closeness. We see them desperately trying to save each other, as if they were dying."
- Andrei Tarkovsky -



"Before we made the film together( Beyond the Clouds-after Antonioni's stroke)I spoke to Jeanne Moreau who had worked with him many times. I told her about the project and asked if she thought I should do it, or if she thought there would be any problems.
"Do it of course, you have to do it," she said immediately. "You should keep in mind," she said, "that when I did La Notte with Antonioni, he never spoke a word to meā€”from the first to the last day of shooting. He never, ever said anything to me, and this is one of the movies I am most proud of. So I don't think that the fact that he cannot speak should be any handicap for him." And she was right, he proved that his limited ability to speak was, for him, as a filmmaker, the least of his problems."
-Wim Wenders-



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home