Tuesday, October 18, 2005




13-Contempt. Director: Jean-Luc Godard. Cast: Brigitte Bardot, Michel Piccoli, Jack Palance, Giorgia Moll and Fritz Lang


Martin Scorsese picks for "extraordinary use of color in film"

"Foreign"Films:

1-Contempt-Jean-Luc Godard
2-Cries and Whispers-Ingmar Bergman
3-Gate of Hell-Teinosuke Kinugasa
4-In the Mood for Love-Wong Kar-Wai
5-The Last Emperor-Bernardo Bertolucci
6-Red Desert-Michelangelo Antonioni
7-The River-Jean Renoir
8-Satyricon-Federico Fellini
9-Senso-Luchino Visconti
10-Shadows of the Forgotten Ancestors-Sergei Paradjanov



"Godard. We all went to Jean-Luc Godard in the 1960s. We stood in the rain outside the Three Penny Cinema, waiting for the next showing of "Weekend." One year the New York Film Festival showed two of his movies, or was it three? One year at the Toronto festival Godard said, "The cinema is not the station. The cinema is the train." Or perhaps it was the other way around. We nodded. We loved his films. As much as we talked about Tarantino after "Pulp Fiction," we talked about Godard in those days. I remember a sentence that became part of my repertory: "His camera rotates 360 degrees, twice, and then stops and moves back in the other direction just a little_to show that it knows what it's doing!"

-Roger Ebert-
----


"There's movies BEFORE and AFTER Breathless..."

-Bernardo Bertolucci-

------
"The cinema is not an art which films life: the cinema is something between art and life. Unlike painting and literature, the cinema both gives to life and takes from it, and I try to render this concept in my films. Literature and painting both exist as art from the very start; the cinema doesn't"

-Jean-Luc Godard-
-----

"As a critic, I thought of myself as a film-maker. Today I still think of myself as a critic, and in a sense I am, more than ever before. Instead of writing criticism, I make a film, but the critical dimension is subsumed. I think of myself as an essayist, producing essays in novel form, or novels in essay form: only instead of writing, I film them. Were the cinema to disappear, I would simply accept the inevitable and turn to television; were television to disappear, I would revert to pencil and paper. For there is a clear continuity between all forms of expression. It's all one. The important thing is to approach it from the side which suits you best"
-Jean Luc-Godard-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home